Breaking News English is a fantastic resource for simple reading articles. This article is titled Smart Phones Could Be Changing Shape Of Our Skulls.
Lesson Objectives: (a) Practice reading comprehension (b) Learn vocabulary in context
Level: Upper beginner or Lower Intermediate (White or Blue Belt)
How many hours in a day would you say you're on your smart phone?
(Calculate estimates with WhatsApp timestamps)
What do you typically use your phone for?
To bend (our necks)
To hunch (over)
An unnatural angle
1. Go here to play the Kahoot! with your students!
2. Have your kids take out their phones or classroom computers and go to Kahoot.it
3. Enter the game ID
4. Create a Name
An Extra Touch
Put things on the scale and review numbers and weights.
Choose something in the class or bring something in that weighs 4.5 kg to show how much the head weighs.
Time our how long some students can hold that in an unnatural position.
(Ex. Hold a heavy book out to the side.)
This will give a didactic touch to the article.
Raise the Stakes
To keep your students honest and giving effort PLUS an extra reward for the winners, give a small assignment to everybody except the top three teams as a prize.
- Define or write examples of vocabulary words
- Write answers for a 3 to 5 Discussion Questions from the article
- Choose an activity from the Breaking News English mini lesson
Easter Egg Lessons:
- What else can you find?