In this speaking activity, your students will be able to talk to new people about different topics, and they will practice the art of conversation, asking questions, and follow-up questions. Time will be ticking, so they will have to also have to think on their feet and learn expressions to respond naturally in English.
· Review or teach how to ask a question, and open and closed questions.
· Review the W question words for lower levels with examples of each
· Teach follow-up questions. (What kind of…?/ Then what happened?/ etc.)
Activity (15-20 minutes depending on group size)
· Line up desks or tables in a row
· Students sit on each side of the row of tables (4-6 people each side)
· Students have a conversation with a partner using questions and follow-up questions 2 minutes.
· After two minutes, one side moves over a chair and do another round.
· Continue going around until they arrive to their original seats.
· If your class is shy or uncomfortable asking and answering real questions, give them characters or famous people (Madonna, Cleopatra, Steve Jobs, Homer Simpson, etc.)
· Lower-level classes can pre-prepare questions before the activity.
· Review glaring mistakes or weaknesses between some rounds when necessary.
Good luck! Let me know how it worksfor you and if you have any special touches that I can try in my classes:
Easter Egg Lessons
Conversation Skills - Your students will get to build and grow general conversation skills which will help them in any language.
Talking to someone new - Even if you have a smaller class, chances are there are some students who haven't spoken much with each other. this is their chance.
Build Community - They will hopefully talk about new topics and learn something about each other as they ask follow-up questions.
What else can you find?
Name: ______________________ Class: ___________________
PART I (a)– Follow the question structure and write THREE example questions you could ask somebody.
Question word + auxiliar verb + subject + (verb) + compliment.
Ex. What do you like to do in your free time?
What is your favorite movie?
PART I (b)– Write a follow-up question based on the short conversations below.
Jesse:What is your favorite food?
Lucia:I like pizza.
Jesse:What toppings do you like?
1. Mario: What do you like to do in your free time?
Angela: I like to exercise and play sports.
2. Marta: Do you like Semana Santaor Feriabetter?
(choose 2 festivals in your country: ex. Christmas or Easter)
Paco: I like Feria better.
PART II– Write down one thing about each partner based on their answers.
Partner 1 - ___________________________________________________________
Partner 2 - ___________________________________________________________
Partner 3 - ___________________________________________________________
Partner 4 - ___________________________________________________________
Partner 5 - ___________________________________________________________
Partner 6 - ___________________________________________________________
Have more time.