This approach is the opposite from what we have all done in our classes to try to coax the kids to behave well and speak English during our lessons. We've all probably done this with some sort of point or star system starting at zero, and the students get points for doing things well and minus points for their team for speaking their language or misbehaving. This system works a similar way, except the class starts each class with a certain amount of money (points).
How it works.
Money can be deducted for:
- Extended conversation in the students' L1 (native language)
- Too much talking during inappropriate times
- Disrespectful behavior
Why it works.
It follows two basic psychological principles:
1. People don't want to lose something they already have. Give the class the points in the beginning of each class, and they are theirs to lose. They will be more likely to work to keep them.
2. The TV sales department philosophy. Make the next prize in the list worth saving for because it's that much better. We see this in the TV sales department when they put amazing TVs side-by-side to really nice TVs. This will help the feel of the game.
- Root for the students to win
- Offer raises and bonuses for excellent work (but calculate the bonuses by percentage. 1 extra dollar is 25%)
Easter Egg Lessons
Teamwork - The students are all "co-workers" of a company. They are all on a team working towards a goal. They may have to delegate jobs or responsibilities if necessary. (treasurer, project manager, etc.)
Delayed Gratification - The students will have to wait and save for bigger and better prizes.
Get the money and the poster
Bank Reward System
- A video up to 7 minutes long
- May include music videos, People are Awesome, or another approved video
- A longer video up to 16 minutes long
- May include TED Talks, other informative content, or another approved video
- A game we can play in class
- A Kahoot of your choice
- Film coupon.
YouTube Channel Suggestions:
Today I Found Out– general information
Biographics– biographies about famous and infamous people
The Futur– focuses on business startups and graphic design
TED– We know what Ted Talks are
Infographics– general information in animated videos
Top 10– information and interesting top 10s of things
Class Dollars and Reward Coupons
Use these class dollars as currency to cash in and buy certain prizes and rewards from the coupon list.
Feel free to create your own prizes and their prices!
Touch the POSTER or MONEY for a BLANK one to customize your own!
Give out one of these to each class to collect whenever they save up enough money.
The coupon MUST be present in the class in order to be valid.