Before the Lesson
LESSON: Speaking or Writing
OBJECTIVE: a. Practice modal verbs b. Use language to convince and argue
LEVEL: Intermediate and Above
TIME: 30-50 minutes
Pre-Teach (10-12 min)
· Write the jobs on slips of paper (before class). Have students choose a job.
· Teach expressions to express your opinion, agree, and disagree
· Review and Practice expressions
Activity (10-15 min)
· Give students time to write notes about the uses of their profession
· Debate in a semi-free discussion why they should be included in the trip
· Remind them to use the target language
Worksheet for Your Google Classroom
Name: ______________________ Class: __________
Situation: A certain newly elected president of a prominent country is killing our planet. Fortunately, NASA has discovered a planet similar to earth that can support life. There is a mission to transport volunteers from earth to the new earth to start over. However, there aren't enough spots for everybody to be able to go. We are holding interviews and discussions to make your case for why you're the best candidate to be invited on the rocket to go to the new planet.
Task: Use your occupation and the target language to argue why you should be included in the voyage.
State your opinion:
I would say that...
I should go because…
You will need me because…
We need/don’t need ______ because…
I think so, too.
That's a fair point.
We're on the same page.
I'm with _____________...
I don't disagree, but...
I beg to differ.
I don't agree at all.
He's/She's completely off base.
That doesn't make any sense.
That's not true.
Prepare Take notes with reasons why you should be invited onto the rocket.
· Decide if you want to take a vote or use a point system to choose who goes
Good luck! Let me know how it works for you and if you have any special touches that I can try in my classes: