Pronouncing these wrong can cause some confusion in communication.
Today's activity is a fun way for students to practice the details in the differences in these words. Essentially, you will make a PowerPoint with a grid like a telephone keyboard. Below each number, write a word that your students typically confuse. Have their similar sounding word under another number. (Look at the example below)
· Tell students to get something to write on and something to write with.
· I tell them my phone number by saying the words. They write down the number.
· I ask them to take out their phones and call me. - I ask something like, "Did you get them all?" or "Who feels brave."
· Find a partner and share phone numbers (the numbers can be fake if they prefer)
· Change the words on the slide for different sounds
- If you don't feel comfortable, don't use their real phone numbers.
Share any other activities you could use this pronunciation slide for.
Good luck! Let me know how it worksfor you and if you have any special touches that I can try in my classes: