In this episode, Jesse talks about this mindset and gives advice on how to overcome this mindset and improve anything you want. As always, the final segment of the show is an English lesson teaching key vocabulary and expressions from the show. Do the quiz below as you listen to test your listening ability.
Visit sweedacademy.com/podcast for show notes and a quiz to test your listening.
I. Vocabulary and Expressions
(The words and terms are in order of when you will hear them)
To block – (Verb) To stop something from happening.
Mindset – (Noun) the way a person thinks
Debilitating – (adjective) something that stops your ability to do something
Air quotes– (Fluency Help) “quotes” you use with your fingers to show something isn’t exactly the word that you’re using, or to emphasize something
Just – (Fluency builder) simply
A ____ person – (Expression) A person who can do a particular thing very well
To get someplace – (Expression) To arrive someplace
The case– (Expression) An example of something in a certain situation
Starting + to verb – (Grammar) Starting to sound like a song
Did you catch any other phrasal verbs or expressions you like? Write them here.
II. Listening Quiz
Listen to the podcast (again if necessary) and fill in the blanks and answer the questions based on what you heard in the episode. Use the expressions above to help you.
- “It’s starting ______________ like a song..”
- “This mindset is so _________________ and stops you from learning.”
- “There was a mindset that ___________ my learning.”
- “I’d love to play an instrument, but I’m _______________ not a music person.”
- “I’m saying the word “tried” with ________________.”
- “Nobody ____________ to the top of Mt. Everest in one jump”
- What is the advice Jesse gave to overcome the “I’m not that person” mindset?
What is your homework assignment this week?